Low level laser therapy (LLLT, cold laser therapy, laser biostimulation) has been investigated and used clinically for over 30 years .
The ability to non-thermally and non-destructively change cell function is known as laser biostimulation and is the basis for the current use of lasers in a number of medical fields.
Since the first study was reported in 1967, some 2500 papers have been published in a range of journals worldwide. They have been carried out at university hospitals and private medical clinics, in dental practices, at veterinarian offices, at private and government-run laboratories, and in laser centers all over the world demonstrate positive effects of laser light on cellular and histological systems of people and their domestic animals. Veterinarian medicine is an especially active area of low level laser therapy application. Veterinarians, in fact, have carried out the majority of in vivo animal studies to test laser treatment before it is administered to human test subjects.
Low level laser therapy has a range of dental, medical, physiotherapy, and veterinary applications. The latter group is of some interest, since when used in animals the possibility ofany placebo effects of treatment (for example, on the perceptions of pain or discomfort) can be eliminated completely. LLLT benefits have been reported in both small and large animals.
THE EFFECTS OF LASER LIGHT ON BIOCHEMICAL AND CELLULAR FUNCTION
- cellular metabolic activation and increased functional activity (ATP synthesis is increased by up to 150%)
- stimulation of repair processes as a result of increased cell proliferation
- anti-inflammatory effects
- microcirculation activation and more efficient tissue metabolism
- analgesic effects as a result of increased endorphin release
- immunostimulation with correction of cellular and humoral immunity
- increased antioxidant activity in the blood
- stabilising lipid peroxidation in cell membranes
- stimulation of erythropoiesis
- normalisation of acid base balance in the blood
- reflexogenic effects on the functional activity of different organs and systems
These biologic effects depend on the frequency, wavelength, and energy, tissue type, and the duration and frequency of application.
LLLT – WHAT EFFECT CAN WE EXPECT?
- Wounds are healed rapidly – with less scar tissue formed. – LLLT and aspecially laser acupuncture not only accelerated tissue repair in acute injuries, but also stimulates the body’s repair processes in cases of non-healing or chronic conditions.
- LLLT eliminates/ decreases pain.
- LLLT reduced inflammation.
- LLLT improves the-re-establishment of the lymphatic system after trauma, resulting in reduced swelling. LLLT increases the formation of new capillary pathways in treated areas resulting in increased circulation
There are indications that LLLT also has a role:
- during periods of recovery after trauma or surgery
- in treatment of hyperlipidaemia when diet and pharmacological interventions have been ineffective
- in strengthening the immune response
PARAMETERS OF LLLT TREATMENT
Laser beam penetrates tissue as a function of wavelength, power and time. Treatment parameters are based on:
- size of animal
- type of condition
More data about the mechanism low level laser therapy can be found in – “Efficacy of low-level laser therapy” LANCET vol. 374, pp. 1897-1908, December 5, 2009.